With the financial support of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the project is being implemented in different parts of the world by the Technical Centre for Agricultural & Rural Cooperation (CTA), in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA). It started in April 2016 and will last for three years.
This project aims to facilitate the adoption of an experience capitalization process in rural development initiatives, where it can help improve the analysis, documentation, sharing and the adoption and use of lessons and good practices. Working with different organizations, the “Capitalization of Experiences for Greater Impact in Rural Development” project is set to achieve its mission to ensure long-term sustainability and impact in development.
Expression of Interest from organizations
The project is interested in identifying rural development initiatives and organizations in Africa, Asia or Latin America & Caribbean, and in inviting them to join and complete a capitalization process – drawing conclusions and presenting and sharing lessons related to a specific project or programme (a “case” or an “experience”). CTA and its partners are looking for organizations which, with the support of a group of trainers and facilitators, are interested in:
- reviewing the “learning module”, and use it to start a capitalization process by focusing on a specific case: identify colleagues and stakeholders to involve in the process, plan the whole process, collect the necessary information from their colleagues and in the field, organize and analyse the collected information, and put their results in a shareable format. They will be supported online by the trainer and if necessary through an initial face-to-face meeting;
- joining a training workshop, where representatives of every case will complete the process they have already started. Sessions will use both online materials and face-to-face discussions. The online materials will remain accessible to the learners, and electronic discussions will continue on the electronic platform of the project (serving a growing Community of Practice);
- completing the process with online support (mentoring and coaching). The trainers or facilitators will remain in touch with the representatives of the implementing partner organizations and monitor progress, addressing and documenting the challenges faced and how they overcome these;
- sharing the results with colleagues and with the general public (including articles or short publications); and
- joining a general discussion, focusing on the steps followed in every process and on the main lessons learned. This will also include thematic interactions, supporting the analysis of a specific case (especially among the peers in the region and in some cases internationally with other regions).
CTA will not provide financial resources for the completion of the process but may provide, if necessary, financial support for the participation of one or two representatives of the organization / project in training workshops that will be organised.
CTA is looking for organizations currently implementing a rural development project or programme, preferably focusing on value chains development; information, communications and knowledge management; agribusiness development; ICTs; rural financial services; climate-smart production techniques; gender and youth issues in agriculture and rural development beyond the abovementioned (or other themes which may also be considered). Preferred cases will be those which
- have been going on for at least two years;
- show potential for extracting lessons which can lead to changes or to an improvement in the organization’s intervention strategies;
- have motivated and interested staff members;
- show a strong relationship with its target group;
- have written or audiovisual material, and information available about its activities and results;
- (preferably) have the financial resources and the time to engage in an experience capitalization process; and
- are running activities and showing results that are especially relevant to other projects or programmes of the organization, or to those of other organizations working around the same theme or in the same region.
How to apply
Organizations interested in being part of this project are invited to get in touch with us, mentioning
- the name of the organization and of its legal representative
- the name of the project, the starting date and expected duration
- its location (district, region, country)
- the main target group
- the project’s objectives and its main strategies
- the main results to date (100 words)
- the main difficulties (100 words)
- the main impact (100 words)
For more information on the project, please write to Jorge Chavez-Tafur, Associate Programme Coordinator at CTA. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org